Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Silence - A Public Service Announcement @ Drunk Driving

Silence
A Public Service Announcement 
Drunk Driving



"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I began drafting a poem to convey the horror of my first automobile accident. After several revisions, I was displeased with the poem because I felt it lacked that enigmatic something. A few weeks later, I realized that the accident could have been avoided if somebody--anybody--had intervened. I was only seven-years old when the accident happened, and I was in desperate need of someone's support. I returned to the poem, to inspire others to speak by conferring upon them the authority of my grueling experience, with hopes that it would prevent future victims of silence. I thank Catherine Lutz & Anne Fernandez, the authors of Carjacked, for sharing the strife in their life, and for narrating a thought-provoking expose on automobility. They catalyzed my resolve to heal via the artistry of this short film. I quote MLK, Jr. because I also hope that my friends will remember me as the voice that cared, not the silence that feared.

No comments:

Post a Comment