Thursday, December 5, 2013

10 Revelations- Heather Scammon



Ten Revelations from Cars, Culture and Media: Final
By Heather Scammon


1.     Automobility is the ultimate freedom

 “In a sense, rail travel set the same restrictions on the enterprise of travel as Taylorism imposed on the process of work. A man on a train…is a man in a straightjacket.” (Seiler pg 46) With the ownership of a car comes a freedom so large it is difficult to compare to other circumstances. The driver has the freedom to go, or escape, anywhere that he pleases whenever he wants. “The voluntariness of departure, the freedom implicit in the indeterminacies of mobility, the pleasure of travel free from necessity, the notion the travel signifies autonomy and is a means for demonstrating what one “really” is independent of one context or set of defining associations – remain the characteristics of the modern conception of travel.” (Seiler pg 21). I had never put this into perspective and realized the immense power of automobility and the impact it has on one’s life before this class.



2.   Cars are terrible for our health

I am guilty for loving the smell of new car, as I’m sure many other Americans are. I had no idea until reading Carjacked just how toxic many aspects of a car can be- one of which being the fumes they release from the mix of retardants and phthalates which destroy human organs. I never truly associated obesity with driving cars, and I also never considered jobs that have extra exposure to exhaust as particularly dangerous to one’s health. The entirety of chapter 8 had my eyes wide and my mouth open in shock, making me not want to touch my mom’s brand new fully-loaded Nissan Murano with a ten foot pole. “Recently diagnosed with incurable bone cancer, she was at pains to point out that cancer does not run in her family, and as a result she is suspicious that the fumes she breathes in each day are its cause.” (Lutz pg 170). Not to mention they are incredibly dangerous and car accidents have a huge fatality rate every single year.



3.     Driving on the highway, everyone is equal

I was amazed that the ownership of a vehicle had the power to help escape racism and oppression of any group of peoples. It does not matter who you are or what your ethnicity is on the highway where, not only will people not notice, but every car is treated and acts in the same manner. The highway and car can act as sort of a “safe haven”, if you will, and helped to move equality forward. "The interstate highway, set apart from and above the landscape and local culture through which it cut, provided the spatial opportunity for the obscuring of one's identity from the scrutiny of others." (Seiler pg 126)




4.     Car advertising is genius

After carefully constructing and deconstructing many different car commercials and ads of our own, it is now easy to be able to identify which areas of the human brain and which persuasive techniques the auto industries are using to sell their product to us. It is ridiculously complicated, and sometimes the viewer does not even fully understand what is so successful about the commercial. This to me is mind blowing, and an intricate science that has been perfected.
“… but we often ignore our research and bend to our emotional needs for attention, status, or power, and our desires to please our families or impress our friends—drives with which the auto industry is very familiar and which make it easier to sway or even swindle us at the point of purchase. “ (Lutz pg 78) "We become attracted to a class of car or a brand because of the 'soft' or emotional appeal of its marketed image; then we use the hard information available to us not to evaluate or test our decision to buy that brand but to rationalize it" (Lutz pg 41). For example, in a peer’s presentation of his commercial where everyone is laughing, I literally could not even force myself to not join in and giggle, making me feeling light and happy and… well… thinking about VW.




5.     There were electric cars before gas powered cars

I am not much of a car person to begin with and definitely did not know much about car history, so I was pretty shocked when I learned that the earliest automobiles (and for awhile afterwards) were actually electric. The movie “Who Killed the Electric Car?” opened my eyes to this, as well as the incredible shift to gasoline and diesel fuel. I think it is incredibly ironic that these amazing freedom machines were originally created in a more sustainable manor and how they are now modified to run on fossil fuels. Sounds a little bass ackwards to me. “If every driver in America drove just 1,000 fewer miles per year, as a nation we could save more than 10 billion gallons of gasoline annually.”



6.     The “design” of where you live matters for your character

This was a huge revelation for me, because it is something I have never put my mind to. I was born in NYC and lived there for my early childhood, however I did not think that it makes me incredibly different from my three sisters who never lived in the city. Automobility has made it simple, easy and desirable to live far apart from one another, which, in turn, hurts us socially as humans. We avoid contact, conflict and confrontation losing these skills that we need for human interaction. “Where city life optimizes the possibility of contact between people, and especially different kinds of people, the suburb strives to eliminate precisely that kind of human contact.” (Kunstler pg 189).



7.     Driving/owning a car is SO expensive

     As a young adult I have made goals for myself, mostly trying to make good decisions and striving to be like my parents. One of my goals was to purchase my own brand new model-of-my-choice car with my own money and handle all of the expenses on my own. “The average American family is spending $14,000 a year without realizing it because most consider only a portion of the total when making important decisions about what car to buy or whether to drive somewhere.” (Lutz pg 210) HA! This class completely opened up my eyes to what a waste of money brand name, sexy, expensive cars are- your car never increases in value after you drive it off the lot, and yet we invest so much into them with zero return. I am doing a palm-to-forehead- pump and abandoning my dream to have an amazing car, and going to instead invest my money in something that might actually benefit me in the future.

8.     We need a complete lifestyle shift

I have always believed this to be true, however I did not understand what an enormous impact better public transit could make on society and bettering our modes of transportation. Richard Watts in his guest lecture that he presented to our class, as well as his article wowed me with how much more important it is to have an entire lifestyle switch as opposed to purely transferring to electric vehicles. It makes sense though, because switching to electric would mean basically telling people that they can keep doing business as usual in terms of their consumption patterns. “Technology solutions are easier for policymakers, because they don’t require behavior change. But switching fuels does not address other issues associated with driving, such as the impacts on human health, land use and the social fabric of our communities.” (Watts article pg 2)




9.     The Auto Industry is very powerful… too powerful

This revelation was brought about by more than one aspect of the class. It was demonstrated throughout the “Who Killed the Electric Car?” film as well as in many of our readings, and was discussed in class as government corruption as well. Because these are the big money makers and “very important” for our country to run as it should, the government practically bends over backwards to protect this industry and keep them “happy. This is not a new occurrence and began from the start with the very first success of cars. “By contrast, streetcar companies received little government support, and the organized auto interests conspired to actively kill them off.” (Kunstler pg 90)


10. Mobile Decretive Cargo comes with fancy cars and status

This semester we saw multiple different music videos/videos that featured expensive decked-out cars, which represented a high status. People define themselves by their possessions and are able to clearly portray exactly which level of society they are currently thriving at by what they wear or drive etc. In the case of “Ride Wit Me” by Nelly, he is showing off his success and telling his story with his song- sending the message that he’s made it, check out the car, and the mobile decretive cargo also come with the gig. It was fascinating for me to fully “deep dive” into that music video and find the meaning and the techniques used behind it all, whereas before I just thought it was a catchy 2000’s hip hop tune. People really do pride themselves by what they drive. For example, my dad drives a BMW and to him it is his 5th child that he bathes, talks to, and pampers in order to keep it in tip-top shape. “’… they often drive by me and see my M5, which is the race car engine version of the BMW 5 Series… and will give me the thumbs up.’ Jens’s status reference group is such a small, exclusive one that they will know … how rare and expensive his car is, a clear signal that he is one of them: a member of the elite.” (Lutz pg 30).


No comments:

Post a Comment